Some very good movies
I have been watching a few good movies nowadays. Here is a list of the important ones, that you must not miss.
1. Princess Mononoke
A movie by the master of Animation, Hayao Miyazaki, it talks about the adventures of a tribal prince. He is infected by a poisonous stain when he saves his village from a boar spirit. The search leads him right into the middle of a grand conflict between Eboshi - the Lady of Iron Town and Princess Mononoke - the princess of the forest. The movie symbolizes the tussle between nature and the resource seeking destructive humans. Gods of Wolves and boars and apes and their tribes (who appear intelligent) lead the fight to the ever-greedy humans. The best thing in the movie is that all characters possess both good and bad sides, which will put the audience in a moral dilemma. If you liked this movie, you can watch Spirited Away by the same director too. (A friend told me that it felt like Alice in Wonderland in a different setup,... Maybe. Maybe some Wizard of Oz too. But it was thoroughly enjoyable and refreshingly different.)
2. Memento
Christopher Nolan (of Batman Begins fame) directs(& scripts) this beautiful movie where the protagonist suffers from short-term memory disorder. The hero cannot create new memories after he is injured when he tries to save his wife from getting raped and killed. He can keep a context only for a few minutes(after which he forgets everything after the incident, and starts with a fresh "Now where am I?"). He is out to avenge his wife's murderer. This is a very intense movie. Please donot expect it to be a normal thriller.
3. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
This is one brilliant movie. You will see Jim Carrey in a really different role. He does serious roles as easily as he shines in comedy. Kate Winslet plays her part to perfection. The plot of the story is again based on memory. Both of them have managed to erase each other from after they have a bitter fight. I should not say any more, or it will spoil the fun. Charlie Kaufman won the Oscar for writing this story. And rightly so. Of the three, I liked this one the best.
Please approach this movies with patience, and without any expectation. (because that is how I did it). And ofcourse your mileage may vary.
13 Comments:
I've to see Princess.. if it's anything like Spirited Away, I'm sure I'll treasure it. Didn't dig "Memento" so much - my tolerance for gimmick-driven movies ran out with "The Machinist". Not to say that it is not a good movie - very clever and engaging, way better than the prolefeed served at the 'plexes these days.
Eternal sunshine, though, was entirely different(*Probably* because the focus was not on the cleverness of the plot, which was nothing to laugh at, but rather on the people and their emotional/moral dilemmas). I'm counting that as one of the most poignantly romantic movies I've seen(and please don't let that tag repel anyone from seeing it!).
Hmm. Thanks for the opinion.
I was actually wondering if this page was visible. It still shows the previous postas the latest, at my place . I have been trying to re-publish the blog for about 10th time.
Have been waiting 2 watch "Eternal Sunshine" for like ages now. Big fan of Jim Carrie since hi "Truman Show" days... Have had the Divx of "Memonto" with me for a month now. Been wanting 2 watch that 2. As for SB's opinion regarding "The Machinist" I totally agree that its on an oft repeated, much trodden lane, but the darkness & the haunting look n acting of Christian Bale makes it worth the watch
Hmm, I actually didn't think The Machinist was that bad a movie. Only, I've started to look for more substance in movies (probably due to a spree of watching good movies). My problem with Machinist, other than the usp being a 'clever' plot(though I didn't find it a cliched theme - probably I need to get out more;) ), was that it was essentially a monologue, if you get my drift. It's like talking to onself - the quality of discourse maybe world-changingly profound, but it cannot hold a candle to a regular conversation, regardless of the company. Though, +1 for Bale's makeup and acting in general. Wish the director hadn't worried so much about keeping the audience confused - it's cute and all, but gets on my nerves after a while.
Btw, colour me cynical, please delete the spam above :P
Hey SB if u looking for some "good movies" , I'd strongly recommend Darren Aronofsky's "Pi"...too good... though I am not suer if its ur kinda movie, from a technical perspective its very close 2 perfection ...for that matter "Pi" is extremely monologous (does such a word exist :))
deleted that spam. Sorry, I have to enable word verification. :(
bystander,
will checkout Pi. (if that's a suggestion to me as well .. :D ) danx.
Of course bookseeker, its a suggestion 2 everyone :). BTW I saw Memento, good movie, as in a refreshing experimental thriller n thrillers r my favorite genre, though i did feel that the director went a lil overboard in his attempt to "confuse" the viewer. At least lotsa things still remain unexplained in my mind...
Hmm, imdb just told me Aronofsky directed Requiem for a dream. That puts him high on my list alright. Will watch out for Pi.
(Memento BIG spoiler warning!)
Bystander, do watch the movie again.. It is generally rewarding to watch it after you know what is going on.. Also closely watch the part where sammy jenkins sits in the hospital seat. ( i think in the final parts..) The camera closes in on him, and someone suddenly moves across distracting us for a minute. After the man has moved aside, you will see that it is actually Leonard sitting in jenkins seat. That might solve you some confusion. Also, note that fact that, if a man has this disorder, how does he know each time his memory refreshes? It's all in his mind, his wife probably survived the accident and he probably killed her.
What a surprise to see ' Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' mentioned here! :-) I will see it this evening...
Blue: so what do you think? Hope my review was helpful.
I liked it: especially the end, when they decide to start the whole from the beginning. It is a nice film.
Since then I have seen another good movie: 21 Grams. Try it if you can!
Will do that!
Post a Comment
<< Home