Saturday, November 20, 2004

The Mote in God's Eye

Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle

Search for Larry Niven's 'Ringworld' has now been on for 3-4 months. Each time I go to Crosswords or the other bookstores, I end up asking about the book and getting disappointed. This brilliant book is always being neglected and new stock never arrives, it seems. The other day, I decided enough is enough and bought "The mote in God's Eye" by the same author (co - author) from a second hand bookshop in MG Road (Brilliant place that is, the proprietor knows almost all the sci-fi authors I heard of..)


Larry Niven is known for his great imagination and hence numerous interesting/complicated worlds that exists only because he chose to write books.


The Mote is no different. Instead of bizarre planetary conditions and physical appearances, he has played with society this time. He introduces to us our first sentient alien race in the year 3017, after human empire has once collapsed utterly and is being rebuilt to its glorious years. The humankind has grown out of our earth in the early 21st century, after Soviet Russia and US creates a CoDominium which jointly searched for solutions to inter stellar travel. A great explorer called Murcheson explored the current limits of outer systems, while many planets were "teraformed" to make them inhabitable. After this happens, the first Empire reaches its glorious years, or golden years, as they call it.

Secessation wars break out after 400 years of peace, after it is found that a system called "Sauron" bred super human clones. It took humanity all of its resources to fight off these Sauron Men, and first Empire collapsed and dark ages followed with many systems isolated and hence turning barbaric.

At these ages, a system called New Scotland, which lies at the outer rim of human empire, noted that a particular star called the "Mote" suddenly shone brighter than its binary counter part the "Murcheson's Eye". After about 150 years the light surge stopped.

During these years, mankind fought back the dark ages and established the second empire. The second empire meticulously brought back the dark planets under its shade, some times by force.
One of these days, Rod Blaine, the young captain battle cruiser "MacArthur" is sent towards the "Murcheson's Eye" to investigate an alien ship approaching the star.

From New Scotland, the view of night sky is filled with the mote and Murcheson's eye against a backdrop of a near by nebula called the 'CoalSack'. This is remembered as the most beautiful sight a man will ever see. It is metaphorised as looking at "the face of God." Hence the name of the book.

Here is the scifi.com review of the book. Do tell me your opinion, if you decided to try it.

1 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Vanchi said...

Comments for BookSeeker

Man r u looking in the wrong places for Sci-Fi. I've seen a 2nd hand book store in B'lore. They've got a good sci-fi collection too. Location - behind the L'attitude discotheque building(off M.G. Rd) on the ground floor level. (If u still can't find it ask for it but don't ask any bbookstores nearby esp. the Macmillan store). He's got loads of stuff & at one time Larry Niven was a rash out there. Don't forget to bargain hard, only then can u get prices down to Rs30-40.
TIP: pick any Sci-Fi book at random, u never know there r gems out there waiting to be picked.
Guru | Homepage | 11.21.04 - 8:14 am | #

Thanks a lot Guru. Will check out that place for sure.
bookseeker | Homepage | 11.22.04 - 7:11 pm | #

aaahhh .. finally I find something here !!!!
Ghost Rider | Homepage | 11.25.04 - 11:30 am | #

SHould make a good read.. i guess .. but don't know why, I have always had an aversion to sci-fi !!
Ghost Rider | Homepage | 11.25.04 - 11:32 am | #

Hey, is that the place where we found 'em Ray Bradbury gems?
Good to see some action here
sb | Homepage | 11.25.04 - 11:39 am | #

I am not sure about the place Guru is referring to. I bought the book from the same place as we got Bradbury.

Yep, its good to be back,
bookseeker | Homepage | 11.25.04 - 3:28 pm | #

there was a place close to the Java City on the Church street, where you get "racks and racks" of second hand books ... not sure about the name though !!
Ghost Rider | Homepage | 11.25.04 - 4:06 pm | #

Hey, nice idea, I will check out these places and post a detailed "where to find books.." maybe., with all you guys help...
bookseeker | Homepage | 11.28.04 - 6:43 pm | #

I think all of us are talking abt the same place. Funny eh?
Guru | Homepage | 11.28.04 - 11:45 pm | #

The book was just fantastic. The first Larry Niven for me.I was always a bit skeptical about sci-fi since I burnt my fingers over a arthur clarke.
But I must say, I enjoyed this a lot. Me planning to pick up "The Gripping Hand" as well. And, obviously, plan to check out this shop that is so highly recommended........
karram | 12.09.04 - 1:49 pm | #

One funny thing in that book as the following conversion b/w two characters.
Ch1 : "... similar to Mars..."
Ch2: "Mars ?"
Ch1: "Sol 4"

I was a bit puzzled by the "Sol 4", till I realized "Sol" means "good ol' solar system."
karram | 12.09.04 - 1:51 pm | #

Karram,
This is my first Larry Niven book as well. I was looking for Ringworld which is s'posed to be his best. There are still a lot of books available there, The Inferno, The Flight of the Horse, The world of ptaavs.
bookseeker | Homepage | 12.12.04 - 12:44 pm | #

 

Post a Comment

<< Home