The Life of Pi
Yann Martel.
Probably, I am back to my old reading days, when books used to be finished in a week, rather than weeks spent over a book. This book is really good, affecting me like a fever for three days.
This book is divided into three parts, the first one as long as probably any other chapter in any other book. This is followed by a huge second part, which is the crux of the story and comes to an abrupt end with a very short third part. Every thing, starting with the preface is hearty meal for the hungry.
The book revolves around a tamil boy from Pondichery, Pi Patel, who is the son of the Pondichery Zoo keeper. He and his family are moving to Canada along with the zoo animals on a ship, when tragedy strikes. The ship sinks and he is left alone in a life boat with a chimpanzee, zebra, a hyena and a Royal Bengal Tiger.
Some of my friends have an opinion that the book finishes with a very short third part, but I am convinced that its shortness is what hits you much more efficiently and sweetly. The book affected me much more, because I am half tamil myself and I could really identify much more with the protagonist. It is surely worth a re-read. A lot of research must have gone into this work. Do check this one out for me, if you haven't. I am grateful to Alexy for suggesting this one to me.
1 Comments:
Comments for BookSeeker
Life of Pi was truly a pleasure. The research behind the story really shows. I read the author's accounts elsewhere about the genesis of the novel, and the research behind it. That itself made for a mesmerizing read. What I liked best was the brutal realism in the narration(especially how there was not the slightest attempt to anthropomorphise the animals), and the allegorical references to faith. The story is essentially about faith, which when packaged in such vivid imagery as Yann Martel conjures, becomes an adventure that keeps you hooked till the end, and delivers a message without being preachy or condescending. Even if you don't care about that, the narration of Pi's adventure(reminiscent of "Old man and the sea", I'm told) should be sufficient fodder for any bookworm worth his(?) salt. One for the 'must-read' list, I say.
sb | Homepage | 11.29.04 - 3:05 pm | #
One of the best thing I liked in the book was the statement about the most dangerous animal in the world. Pi's father believes it as Man itself, but the author tries to correct it as "any animal as seen through the eyes of people". This has a lot of meaning, if we try to read it along with the third chapter..
bookseeker | Homepage | 11.29.04 - 3:57 pm | #
Gravatar "The life of Pi", tried to get hold of it..but couldn't . . . & yeah van-hesling is "good". ... & read yesterday that Arthur Hailey is no more!
good luck,
j
j | Homepage | 11.29.04 - 4:58 pm | #
J! long time no hear/see. thanks for coming.
And yeah, Van Helsing was goooood only. And you can borrow the book when u come to bangalore.
bookseeker | Homepage | 11.29.04 - 7:27 pm | #
found it a little boring towards the end !!!! the start was wonderful !!!
Ghost Rider | Homepage | 12.06.04 - 7:33 pm | #
Gravatar Though there are some pages left I find it an awesome book. Rereading? Yes! I think I will reread it!
Till the point he starts to speak with Richard Parker I believed it is true story and I felt confortable with this idea. Then I found a little bit dissappointing that it is not a true story. Pi is a personality which would merit to live.
Do you think that is has some realistic parts though?
Anna
Anna | 01.27.05 - 2:57 pm | #
Anna,
I see that there are some pages left.
Read it completely. Then you will really know what the author meant. There will be no question of realism.
bookseeker | Homepage | 01.27.05 - 6:28 pm | #
Gravatar I see! This means that there are still some surprises in it... I am getting more excited about it.
Anna | 01.27.05 - 8:46 pm | #
Gravatar Bookeseeker,
I have finished the book and I haven't been balked of my desires!
Anna
Anna | 01.28.05 - 4:07 pm | #
I dont quite understand what you mean.
But the third chapter is what made this book truly great, for me. I understand that it is small, but it hits like great impact and precision. Thats all the book needed. isn't it?
bookseeker | 01.31.05 - 5:42 pm | #
Gravatar Yes, you are right! I really liked the 3rd chapter either and it gave an understanding how the writer thinks about the world and life plus some more charm to the Pi's personality. It made a big impression on me.
But: If the 3rd chapter hadn't existed I would have enjoyed the book either. I liked so much the personality of Pi, his struggle impressed me, that for me that was also a great experience.
And what my first question was: could it be possible that a guy would survive with a Bengali Tiger (under certain circumstances) on a boat? And isn't it possible that there was a guy who had similar experiences after a shipwreck with or without tiger and his tellings were used by Martel?
Or did you undertsand the 3rd chapter as a clear statement about the fact that the whole story was not true?
I didn't undertand like that.
What I understood of chapter 3 was something different.
Sorry if I am too complicated in expressing myself!
Anna | 02.01.05 - 6:17 pm | #
I agree, the book is still very much enjoyable without the third chapter. And as for the real chances of anyone surviving, the author is extremely convincing, isn't he?
To me, the third chapter is just another way of looking at things.
bookseeker | Homepage | 02.20.05 - 8:38 pm | #
Post a Comment
<< Home