The face that launched a thousand ships
I love epic proportions...
A curious glance at the imdb entry for Troy, led me into the colorful world of greek mythology. Most of the stories like illiad and odyssey, i had heard and forgotten. Well, I just found that they never lose their charm.
I started out by looking at the official site of the movie, to know what is in store. It turned out to be a flash site( as expected ), but generally gave me the impression of a maze of links. Wiki has a lot to say about it but.
The last time I heard the story as a kid, I remember having hated the death of Hector, for he was my hero. Actually I got totally rebellious after this happened, and I hated the story as well.
Ramayana crudely resembles this epic, having the same plot. Ramayana has clearly demarcated good and evil, and has become less of a story and more of a religious text. The story almost dies when you have to believe and worship, isn't it. The point, I tried to mention was that, essentially it is a story of good winning over bad.
Iliad, does not seem to concern anything at all about good and evil, and the point being Wrath of Achilles.
First line of Iliad proves the point:
Sing, goddess, the deadly wrath of Achilles son of Peleus
............
It is with this insight that I am going to watch the movie. And as per the movie, it is difficult to muster the resources to create this big an epic and then mess up. :) So I hope, it will be good.
Related links:
Read Iliad in pure form (poetry) (well, er..ofcourse translated!) here
and at wiki, you can read a decent summary of it in prose
And another piece of trivia: Hector evolved sadly into an ironic meaning - a bully.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home